Friday, April 25, 2008

SPOILER ALERT: A Prayer for Owen Meany - still trying to work out what the hell it's on about

I liked this book. I didn't find it powerful, or moving - it wasn't one of those books that seems to have singled me out at a crowded party, taken me to a quiet bedroom and stolen my literary virginity - but I enjoyed it. It never dragged, was never boring, always entertaining, often good for a laugh... but I just. don't. get. it.

I was waiting for something more spectacular to happen at the end. That there was all this build up just for him to save a bunch of children seems a bit odd to me. Similarly the reason his voice didn't change. Perhaps I'm just a cold-hearted bitch, but the whole ending didn't really make sense to me.

What it does show me, though, is how much I've changed over the past few years. A couple of years ago I would just have read the story and left it at that - never questioning, never asking why, never looking beyond the surface. I would have seen this as a nice, often ironic, story, but I would never have tried to work out why I felt so... short-changed at the end. I believe this is a good thing.

No comments: